8 archaeological zones, to know the pre-Hispanic past of Puebla

Cantona

Its name means “ house of sol”. It is located in the municipality of Tepeyahualco and is considered the most urbanized city in pre-Hispanic Mexico, because of the elaborate planning and symmetry in all its buildings.

 

 

Yohualichan

20 minutes from the municipality of Cuetzalan is Yohualichan, whose name means "the house of the night" in Nahuatl. This archaeological zone is one of the most important, since it was the first Totonac settlement, which had a peak period around 600, until they emigrated to the Tajín.

 

 

Cholula

It is one of the most important archaeological sites in the country, the main pyramid has the largest basement in the world, with 400 meters per side, surpassing that of the Sun in Teotihuacán and that of Cheops, in Egypt.
Its name is Tlachihualtepetl, which means handmade hill and on it is the Shrine of Our Lady of Remedies, which was built by the Spaniards in 1594.

 

 

Teteles del Santo Nombre

Pre-Hispanic city that was built between 400 and 1000 AD, which is currently buried between weeds and earth. It is believed that the area that covered this city, had dimensions of between 800 and one thousand hectares.

 

 

San Cristóbal Tepatlaxco Archaeological Zone

The archaeological zone of San Cristóbal de Tepatlaxco was populated between 300 BC and 600 AD, and is considered a site of Olmec influence, possibly a ceremonial and military center.

 

 

Tehuacán Archaeological Zone & #8220; El Viejo & #8221;

The city Ndachjian or Tehuacán El Viejo dates from the year 1000 AD to 1456 AD, approximately, this ancient city housed the Nguiwa or Popoloca culture.

 

 

Tepexi el Viejo Archaeological Zone

Tepexi el Viejo was the head of one of the most important Popoloc manors that during the Postclassic period (1200-1500 AD) controlled the south of Puebla.

 

 

Archaeological Zone “ La Meza”

The town was built in 1345 on the banks of the Ahuelican spring. Some chocho-popoloca tribes from Coapan settled in Calcahualco, what is now known as Tehuacán Viejo.