The Ex-convent of San Francisco is the first convent of the City of Puebla. Fray Toribio de Benavente, one of the first twelve religious to arrive in New Spain, laid the first stone in 1535. It is located in the Alto neighborhood, the oldest area of the city of Puebla, the indigenous neighborhood.
The beautiful churrigueresque façade of the Temple stands out, the work of the architect José Buitrago. The large quarry doorway, with a Mudejar-style door, is flanked by large Talavera tile boards amid brick cladding. The use of the stipe is characteristic, an element typical of the New Hispanic baroque, as well as the tower, which follows the guidelines of the architecture of Puebla.
Inside, the beautiful chapel of the Third Order and the chapel of the Virgen de la Conquista, where the mummified body of Blessed San Sebastián de Aparicio, highly revered in Puebla, lies.
On Sunday mornings a friar blesses the cars waiting in long lines for his protection.