Santuario de Guadalupe o Iglesia de los Jarritos, Cuetzalan del Progreso

Shrine, Temples and former convents

The construction of the church dates from the end of the 19th century, it was completed in 1895. The first stone was laid on December 12, 1889, consecrated on January 19, 1895. Its facade shows neo-Gothic characteristics.

On one side is the parish curate and in front is the city cemetery with a wide variety of styles of tomb ornamentation, almost always adorned with flowers. The majestic Sanctuary of the Virgin of Guadalupe, is inspired by the Sanctuary of the Virgin of Lourdes in Louvre, France, with their similarities and differences, both were built by the same architect Violet Le Duc.

Most important is the peculiarity that the tall and slender bell tower, instead of the needles and grotesques, typical of the neo-Gothic of Violet Le Duc, in Cuetzalan, has yarns of clay vessels that have made it popularly called the “Church of the Jarritos”.

The interior is equally neo-Gothic, with a rib vault, which is actually made of zinc sheet, with wooden moldings and a lot of imagination. The pulpit was carved from fine woods, proudly made by a Cuetzalteco cabinetmaker, Mr. Jesús Mora, with a painting of the Virgin of Guadalupe in the center.